Neo-Passé
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Circle

4 posters

Go down

The Circle Empty The Circle

Post by Ishilar's Ego Tue May 15, 2012 2:32 am

Circle
^I'M A LINK CLICK ME^

The Circle

A symbol of time. Of fate. Of rebirth

There are no beginnings or endings to a circle. Time flows into itself endlessly. People, places, conflicts, killed and reborn in time's eternal cycle, walking the same paths to the same inevitable destinations again and again without end.

The Circle

A symbol of stagnation. Of damnation. Of imprisonment.

The Last Dragon E'Narath scowled at those thoughts roiling in his mind. Not the first time. Not the last. But as with all other times, after a moment, he smiled coldly. Nothing lasted forever. Not even time. All of the necessary pieces were on the board and in motion.

He would break the Circle, crush fate into pieces, and free the world from its shackles.

The First Circle: Of the History and Creation of the Circle:

The Second Circle: Of Magic and the Unnatural:

The Third Circle: Of the Races of Tyldrasia:

Addendums

The Summoning of Aspects:

Runology:

Demonspawn:

Last edited by Ishilar's Ego on Fri May 18, 2012 8:38 am; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : Markup is STUPID! D=)
Ishilar's Ego
Ishilar's Ego

Back to top Go down

The Circle Empty Re: The Circle

Post by Ishilar's Ego Tue May 15, 2012 2:42 am

SUDDENLY, A MAP
...Which is also a link. That you should click. Also, large image.

Map Information:

Addendums

Notable Persons:

Notable Organizations/Guilds:

Guild Job Requests:

Player Guilds:

CHARACTER SHEET

Name:
Sex:
Magicks: (Remember, either one Primal or two Lessers)
Aspects (if applicable): (For now, I'm limiting Summoners to a maximum of five Aspects and I'll see how things go from there)
Other:

THE CAST

Name: Calis Ayemla (Ish)
Sex: Male
Equipment: An ordinary short sword and belt knife along with a set of leather armor and an assortment of clothing.
Magicks: Aspect
Aspects: Aquir, Charona, Nymth
Other: Calis and his twin sister Cele were born on the main isle of Imijil. At the age of fourteen, their mother died shielding the two with her own body in a demonic attack. The next two years were spent training their magical abilities until the day they attempted to bring their mother back to life. An attempt that leveled their home and claimed the life of their father. The twins then lived with a neighbor and family friend, seldom venturing outside until, two months ago, a rumor reach them. The rumor of the Necromancer, the strongest mage in the world. The man who supposedly had brought the souls back from the dead. The rumor that he was in the city of Ambevelia.

The tragedies in Calis' life, while not at all uncommon on Tyldrasia, have left him soft-spoken and quiet, especially around strangers.

Name: Cele Ayemla (Ish)
Sex: Female
Equipment: A yew longbow and quiver of arrows, various Void-wrought weapons and armor, an assortment of dresses, and a pouch of herbs for various maladies
Magicks: Void
Other: Cele and her twin brother Calis were born on the main isle of Imijil. At the age of fourteen, their mother died shielding the two with her own body in a demonic attack. The next two years were spent training their magical abilities until the day they attempted to bring their mother back to life. An attempt that leveled their home and claimed the life of their father. The twins then lived with a neighbor and family friend, seldom venturing outside until, two months ago, a rumor reach them. The rumor of the Necromancer, the strongest mage in the world. The man who supposedly had brought the souls back from the dead. The rumor that he was in the city of Ambevelia.

Like Calis, the events in her life changed Cele. The attempt at bringing her mother back to life left Cele blind and bloodless. While she is, for the most part, soft-spoken like Calis, the events in her life have ultimately been unable to quell her temper and quick wit, often emerging at the most inopportune times.

Name: Aileen Draeci (Masked Man)
Equipment: The Soultaster’s Sword, the Amulet of Penitent Mercy, an array of simple outfits, and a small home in Ambevelia.
Magicks: Arcane, Elemental
Other: Aileen is the poor daughter of a wealthy man and she herself eschews wealth in nearly all its forms. The only objects of real value she owns are a potently runed blade and amulet that her father gave her as an apology just before she left home.

Name: Faceless (Masked Man)
Equipment: None
Magicks: Elemental, Animism
Other: Faceless was once a man who cared a lot about nature. He cared so much, in fact, that once he mastered Animism he promptly began spending so much time in animal form that he forgot how to “be” his native self. When he was a human he was Aileen’s hired bodyguard, and he continues to serve her faithfully now in whichever shape he needs most at the time.

Name: Lune (Masked Man)
Equipment: A matching pair of short swords, a longbow, and several belts of throwing knives hidden about her body. She also tends to carry small vials, filled halfway with a strange bluish powder and corked quite tightly.
Magicks: Shadow, Dream
Other: A former assassin known for loose morals even among the contract killer community, she gave up her life as a murderess-for-hire a few years ago to join the fledgling Final Seed guild. Nobody is entirely sure why she did this, as she is the only member of the guild who does not seem to regret her past even slightly. She is also known to be addicted to salt seed: a powerful psychoactive drug known to cause hallucinations, a dulled sense of touch, euphoric bliss followed by intense paranoia, loss of short term memory and other, user-specific effects.

Name: Moose (Rust)
Equipment: A Saddle, and a rusty sword that hangs from its antlers.
Magicks: Holy
Other: Moose is a moose, but also a genius. Cojisto tamed him years ago while he was still an adolescent.

Name: Cojisto (Rust)
Equipment: Reinforced leather fighting gloves.
Magicks: Arcane, Animism
Other: Cojisto knows how to use his magic, but prefers a more personal form of combat. To get from place to place, he rides Moose.

Name: Sirenne (Rust)
Equipment: Only the ability to put up with Cojisto and a whip for the times that she can't.
Magicks: Aspect
Aspects: Nyx, Daughter of the Night; Nymth, the Green Lady; Venia, the Tempest.
Other: Along with Moose, Sirenne is the only person who's been able to understand Cojisto, even if that happens rarely

Name: Lloyd (Alle)
Equipment: Lloyd wears a hodge-podge of clothing, mostly collected from his years of wandering: serviceable leather breeches, fit with dagger sheaths down the side of his thighs, and a red leather vest scorched black in places where his magic got out of hand. A plain brown shirt covers his athletic arms beneath the vest, often rolled up to the elbows. He wears no cloak, except in the dead of winter; his body temperature runs high, perhaps an effect of his fire affinity. Sturdy black boots and a tangle of necklaces and charms, spilling into the V of his shirt, complete his usual attire. The charms are anything from shark teeth to bear claws to various faded religious symbols, revealing a certain degree of religious observance, if not simple superstition. For weapons, he carries a dirk and a selection of daggers, preferring to slow or otherwise panic his enemy with flames and small tornadoes, then dart in for the kill.
Magicks: Elemental, Warp
Other: Born on the Baeleon peninsula to a middle class family of somewhat renowned Arcanists, Lloyd both surprised and disappointed his parents by missing that particular magical gene. Instead, he is a proficient Elementalist, most comfortable around fire and air, and an unstable Warper. When the political war with Saeth again escalated and the army called for new recruits, Lloyd again shamed his family by running away. He has not seen or heard from them in the five years since. He makes his living mostly as a sword-for-hire, taking freelance contracts with various guilds, or simply offering his services to various local militias for a period of time before setting off again. At his side, always, since his departure from home, is Biddy.

Name: Biddy (Alle)
Equipment: Her attire is as unsettling as she is; not in the sense that it's strange, just in the way that human clothes do not appear to suit her. She wears unremarkable brown and green leathers, a too-large white shirt, and loose clothe boots. Compared to Lloyd, she is relatively unadorned, with no visible weaponry save for the small, two-inch blade on a chain around her neck. She is, perhaps, more suited for furs, or the visage of an animal; like a forest warrior missing her antlers, yet unnervingly beautiful.
Magicks: Dream, Animism
Other: Not much is known about Biddy. She was first seen in Baeleon, arrested for suspicious activity in a smaller village near the eastern front. She was released, and has remained under the law's radar since. She claims no country of origin, not does her appearance lend to any solid guesses. She avoids large cities and excessive crowds, and they avoid her: she is a strong Dreamer and admits an unsettling, though not harmful, aura; as if she sees things in a person they are incapable of seeing themselves. She travels with Lloyd. They are seldom without one another, for reasons they don't discuss. Biddy hovers almost constantly at his side, either as a human, a deer, or a delicate white sparrow.

Name: Kelrad Dunderdale (Smithy)
Equipment: His father's sword, Ashcarver, along with the standard-issue gear of the Wing Knights.
Magicks: Holy
Other: Kelrad, or Kel for short, is the son of the great warrior Denrad Dunderdale, Commander of the Wing Knights until he was killed in battle four years ago. Kel has been trained for battle by his father all his life, and was expected to join the military as soon as he was able. He has followed his father's wishes to the letter, even being accepted into the Wing Knights (though likely due more to his lineage than his skill), but deep in his heart, Kel doesn't want to live the life his father did. He doesn't want to be a warrior, and he doesn't want to fall in battle before his time. Regardless, he is skilled with a blade, and is considered a valuable (though expendable) member of the Wing Knights.

Last edited by Ishilar's Ego on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:25 pm; edited 6 times in total
Ishilar's Ego
Ishilar's Ego

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishilar's Ego Fri May 18, 2012 11:53 pm

The Last Dragon E'Narath smiled up at Cyril, one of the great floating cities of the Radiants. Soon. Not time yet, but soon he would make that great city into a weapon. One day for his human servants to complete their tasks, to do what neither demon nor Dragon could. One day for the barriers around the Radiant cities to be lowered; one day until a concentrated demonic attack on all of those great cities; one day until the wondrous floating cities of the Radiants fell out of the sky.

Calis led his sister Cele by the hand toward the thick beam of golden light streaming in from the ceiling that connected Imijil to the other Radiant cities. The Paths of Radiance were roughly six meters in diameter and the fastest means of getting anywhere else in Tyldrasia; one simply had to speak their destination city and would then find themselves whisked away hundreds of miles in a matter of minutes.
Cele's free hand went to the strip of cloth tied around her forehead and tugged it over her eyes to hide the scars of the Void. Calis winced at the action. It was his fault his sister had lost the use of her eyes. His idea, his suggestion. The summoner shook himself. It was no use dwelling on that; all he could do was try to fix the mess he'd made as much as he could. If they could find the Necromancer...
"We can't stand here forever, Calis," his sister broke into his thoughts, "We agreed to do this."
"The last time we both agreed to do something, we ended up in the situation we're in now," Calis muttered, before saying more loudly, "Ambevelia!"

Calis' stomach lurched as the light suffused him...he became the light, he was the light, traveling along a stream of consciousness, passing others as his destination grew near. He stumbled out of the light in a room that could have been the same one he had just left, though he knew it wasn't. A moment later, Cele was beside him and stumbled forward, caught off-balance and throwing her wavy black hair across her face.
"Are you alright, Cele?" He helped her to her feet and smoothed her hair out of her face.
"The first step is always the hardest," she said with a grin.
"I suppose," Calis sighed, gathering his sister's possessions under his arm and taking her hand once more. The siblings stepped out into Ambevelia as one. There was a marked difference in the anterooms of the Paths in Ambevelia and in Imijil, and it left Calis stunned.

"So many people," he said softly.
"There were plenty of people in Imijil, too!" Cele said beside him.
"True, but...there's a lot more of them here..." his hand tightened around Cele's, "Are you sure you want to do this?"
"Yes, for the last time," Cele replied irritably.
"But..." Cele wrenched her hand free and began to trod away on her own before Calis could finish. The summoner jostled his way through the endless streams of people coming and going through the Anteroom, "Wait, Cele!"

When he had finally caught up to his sister, she had reached the check-in station.
"You're supposed to be blind, damn it," Calis hissed, "What if somebody noticed?"
"You were taking too long," Cele sniffed, "It's your fault anyway."
"I'm just trying to be cautious! And you should too! And what do you mean!? How is it my fault!?"
"Well if you'd stop second-guessing our decision and just get on with things, I wouldn't get impatient, and then I wouldn't run off, and then you wouldn't get mad! See? This is all your fault."
"...Fine," Calis sighed, "Let's just get checked in and then start looking for a place to stay. I doubt we're going to find the Necromancer on our first day here."

At the entrance and exit opposite the hallway leading to the Paths of Radiance were several desks manned by Radiants checking in and checking out people visiting and departing the city. The two siblings approached a smooth-faced man with amber eyes and matching hair flowing down his back.
"Hello," the Radiant greeted warmly, "welcome to Ambevelia. This will only take a moment, and..." the Radiant paused, noticing Cele's blindfold, "I must ask you to remove that, my lady."
"My sister is blind," Calis broke in, "She doesn't really like displaying it for others," she nodded earnestly and tried to look pathetic, just the way they had worked out...it was like trying to make a lioness look pathetic, but Calis plowed on hurriedly, "Would it be at all possible for us to demonstrate we are harmless in another way?"
The Radiant shook his head, "My apologies, but we must be able to check for golems trying to sneak in, you understand. Your pardon, my lady, but will you please remove your blindfold? It will only take a moment."
Calis stiffened and Cele gave his hand a tight squeeze as she lifted the strip of cloth.
The Radiant recoiled with a hiss. It was the same reaction everybody had to Cele's gaze. Two bright green irises set in the stormy blackness of the Void instead of the milk white of a normal person. Eyes that marked her for what she was, no matter how hard they tried to disguise it.
"...May we go on our way?" Calis asked stiffly after a moment of silence as Cele shifted the cloth back into place over her eyes.
The Radiant cleared his throat, "Yes. Er...yes, be on your way."
"Thank you."

The Anteroom opened up outside to a brilliant blue sky where the sun had just begun to climb the horizon. Tufts of white cloud billowed by beneath the floating city and despite the early hour, the streets were already crowded with people, most clad in armor of some form or another that made Calis wince inwardly. Cele wore only a simple blue dress slashed with yellow and plain leather shoes and Calis' leather armor might as well have been made from paper compared to the bulky steel plates some of the people they passed were wearing.
"It certainly is different here...I fear we may have to find new wardrobes," he muttered to Cele who shrugged.

They had only taken a few steps before a man bumped into Cele and knocked her to the ground.
"My apologies. Are you alright?" the man speaking couldn't have stood out more had he tried. Rather than armor, he wore a simple blue coat and brown breeches with black boots and leather gauntlets. He had no noticeable weapons to speak of when everybody else in Ambevelia seemed armed to the teeth. He adjusted his spectacles and then smiled politely and took Cele's arm, hoisting her up.
"I'm fine, thank you," Cele said softly.
"You two look like visitors. Am I right?" the man asked.
Calis nodded stiffly, "That's correct. We just got here."
"Well then perhaps I can be of some assistance and show you around. What brings you two to Ambevelia, if I might ask?"
Calis hesitated. The man was a stranger, true, but he seemed nice enough. Besides, it would likely take ages to find the Necromancer if they didn't ask around, but...
"We're looking for the Necromancer," Cele said blithely.
"Cele!"
The man stopped and stared at the two siblings. Calis tensed. "The Necromancer, you say?" the man laughed, "How remarkable. Look no further, for I am him!"
Calis stared, pole-axed. Really...? That easily? So many complex plans, and they met through a chance encounter?
"Haha! Just kidding, you can call me Rith. I tell everybody that I'm the Necromancer, but the truth is, I'm not. I'm actually looking for him myself."
"Why?" Cele asked, "Why would you call yourself the Necromancer?"
"It's one of my brilliant ideas," Rith said happily, beginning to walk once more,"If I pretend to be the Necromancer, then the real Necromancer will come to put an end to my shenanigans and then I can talk to him." He stopped again, a look of wonder crossing his face, "I've just had another brilliant idea!" he whipped around, facing Calis and Cele, "We should start a guild!"
"...What?" Calis asked blankly.
"Come now, come now, surely you must see the genius behind such a plan!" Rith insisted, "Guilds are like a common house, a meeting of souls that have common ideals and goals! You want to find the Necromancer, I want to find the Necromancer. Our camaraderie shall blossom and yield many fruitful results!"
Calis shook his head, "I don't think that-"
"We would love to form a guild with you," Cele said, "Three pairs of eyes are better than two after all," she turned to Calis before he protest, "We need a place to stay, don't we? If we start a guild, we'll get our own chapterhouse and a little bit of gold marks to start us off."
"You see!?" Rith demanded, "BRILLIANCE! Come, friends. To the Guild Hall!"
"I...Cele, but...what happened to caution!?" Calis spluttered as Rith led them down the street toward an immaculate building in the distance.
Ishilar's Ego
Ishilar's Ego

Back to top Go down

Post by The Masked Man Sun May 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Half of the sky was gray and swollen, the pregnant bellies of black clouds threatening to release a deluge before nightfall. Jagged flashes smote the horizon, alarmingly frequent, as thunder boomed ceaselessly in the distance. To the east the sun bloomed tentatively over the horizon, painting the sky with vibrant oranges and pastel shades of blue and pink. A stark white wall divided the violence of the coming storm from the serenity of the morning sky. It seemed the forces of the heavens themselves were at war, violence and chaos boiling in the west and seeking to overwhelm the peaceful beauty of the east. Beneath it all, two wooden wagons made their way obliviously south, carrying a dozen grim passengers of various descriptions. These men and women, members of Final Seed, the guild of the damned, cared little for the splendor of the spectacle above them or the coincidental symbolism of it all—they were on their way to different confrontation and, as most of them hoped, their final, violent moments in this world.

Outcasts one and all, they were hated and scorned by those who knew them. Murderers, rapists, thieves, and traitors, each burdened by guilt over their past crimes but each unable to find solace through normal means. Cast out by their friends and family, they were welcomed solemnly into the ranks of Final Seed by white-faced, soft-spoken Aileen Draeci. Not all of them were battle-hardened adepts, but that was no matter; they would be trained night and day until they were ready to reclaim their honor on the battlefield. On this day, exactly one dozen were ready to do so, including Aileen herself and her two faithful companions Faceless and Lune.

The three of them sat in the lead wagon, one sitting in silence, one panting eagerly, and another making snotty remarks and cynical observations at regular intervals. Though they were all clustered at the front of the wagon, Aileen somehow managed to sit farther up than the other two. Her porcelain face seemed to gleam in the murky shadows of the covered wagon, wide green eyes as deep and alive as the forests themselves staring directly ahead. Her hair, red as blood, was tied back into a short, fat, braid that hung heavily between her shoulder blades. Her face was thin and smooth, her figure full and flawless even in the dyed leather armor she donned for this mission. Indeed, the only blemish she bore was that her right arm had been severed just above the elbow. Her sword, forged of some black-as-night material lay in its sheathe across her lap, and an ornate golden pendant in the shape of a stylized heart hung on a thin chord around her neck.

To her left sat Lune, a woman of about thirty who would have been beautiful in her own right if she didn’t seem to be made entirely out of knives. Her brown hair was brutally shorn and stood up in shocks at the top of her head and, in contrast to Aileen’s placid lack of expression, her thin lips seemed constantly curled into some sort of sneer or another. A large wolf lay on the floor of the wagon between them, breathing heavily and occasionally answering the thunder with a deep bass rumble of his own.

“You know” Lune began, leaning her head out of the wagon and staring up at the sky “I once slept with a poet.” Aileen glanced at her, but said nothing, so she continued. “He would’ve loved this. He was always writing rubbish about nature. It’s a shame he was my target for the day.”

Faceless made a sort of huffing noise that would have sounded disapproving coming from a human. Spending time with Lune had given him a lot of practice expressing disdain in his various animal forms. He growled sharply as Lune gave him a kick in the ribs.

“Don’t judge me, mutt.”

“Quiet, you two.” Aileen said in her usual monotonous whisper. “We’re still hours from Tir. It won’t do to get your blood boiling just yet.”

Lune shrugged and tilted her head to one side, frowning accusingly at the trapped animage. “He’s just mad I’ve got the same set I was born with.”

---

The wagons rolled on more or less in silence for the rest of the day. The storm had come and gone, drowning the land for a quarter of an hour before the drops turned to chunks of ice, some of which had managed to tear through the thin leather that made up the wagons’ covers. The hail fell for another fifteen minutes before turning back into rain which itself had gradually tapered off over an hour or so. The sun had come out, revealing by its position that it was about four in the afternoon when the wagons bearing Final Seed’s elites rolled into Tir. Being a fortress city, the place looked less than hospitable on a normal day, but with the threat of battle looming on the horizon things were even grimmer than normal. The drivers were directed toward a more or less open courtyard near Tir’s massive walls where most of the armed combatants, including the illustrious Wing Knights had gathered to receive orders.

Aileen and Faceless leapt down from their wagon and made their way toward the city walls while Lune stayed behind to organize the other members of the guild. Upon accepting this contract she had been told to seek out Captain Roshar of the Wing Knights for orders, and asking around led the girl and her wolf-man to him promptly. He was standing at the top of one of the towers that interrupted the massive stone wall at regular intervals, looking more than just a little on edge. He jumped when the guard that had guided them introduced Aileen Draeci and Faceless of Final Seed and spent a moment sizing the pair up before speaking. Judging by his expression, he was less than impressed.

“I’ve heard a lot about you two.” He began, narrowing his steel colored eyes somewhat.

“Good.” Aileen muttered in reply, meeting his gaze with an intensity he had not expected.

“Are you, er. . .” he stammered, trying to find a way to assert the authority he felt was somehow being threatened. “. . .aware you’re missing an-?”

Aileen scowled and spoke slightly louder than last time. “What a stupid thing to say.”

The two locked eyes again, or rather Roshar’s gaze realigned with hers, which hadn’t budged in the slightest. “Right, well, I apologize for my rudeness. Now I assume you’re here looking for orders?” Aileen remained silent, refusing to acknowledge the necessity of a second stupidly obvious observation in less than a minute. “Come here and take a look at this” said the captain, turning to face the soon-to-be battlefield.

The demonic hordes were visible at the far end of a mile-wide stretch of barren land, gathered in numbers that took even Aileen aback. There was no sign that a battle had taken place yet, not even a skirmish. Roshan, seeming to realize what Aileen had noticed, shook his head in wonder. “They haven’t moved since they first appeared here. We’ve even had archer teams take shots at some of them, but no response at all.”

Aileen wondered at this. Demonspawn were for the most part fairly unintelligent, but even the dullest of their ranks possessed survival instinct. Such great discipline suggested the presence of a powerful leader somewhere in the area.

“Our plan is to divide our forces and strike from different directions just before sunset-“
“Before?”

The captain stumbled. He was clearly not used to being interrupted. “Yes, before. Is there a problem?”

“That will leave only a very brief window of opportunity to strike before nightfall, when they will be at their strongest. Why didn’t you try to attack earlier in the day? Captain. . .you aren’t stupid, are you?”

Roshar flared his nostrils and scowled. “The other army at Ipik will strike at the same time and we’ll catch them in a pincer movement-”

“Just before the demonic power peaks. Stupid.”

This time, the captain decided he was finished with this insolent girl and instructed her to return to her men and ready them for battle. Faceless, who had remained silent during the rather tense briefing, growled loudly as they were lead away.

“I know. I hate him too.”

The Masked Man
The Masked Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rust Mon May 21, 2012 2:53 am

Cojisto was seated in a corner of a rather large guild hall. The Guild Registration Guild, more commonly referred to as the GRG, was adorned magnificently. Gold and red tapestries hung along the walls, large marble columns reached from floor to ceiling, and the floor was covered in lush red carpet. Off to the sides and between the columns were desks. Each desk had one GRG representative and one or two people from other guilds registering or returning for a renewed guild seal. Today was a busy day for the GRG, and Cojisto must have waited nearly three hours to get his place. The man was of average height with dark red hair and deep green eyes. He was clad in a red outfit that matched his hair and a purple cloak. All in all, he was rather gaudy.

"I'm sorry Mr..." the man behind the desk said to him as he perused Cojisto's guild renewal. "Cojisto? Am I saying that right?"

"Yep," came Cojisto's swift response.

"Ah, right, right." The man adjusted his rather thick glasses so they sat higher on his face. "Sorry that the wait has been so long, My name is Derek Gillsman. I will be reviewing your case today."

"Derek? Your name is Derek?" Cojisto asked with a raised eyebrow, to which the man only nodded. "Well, this isn't going to be a pleasant conversation."

Derek looked shocked. "I beg your pardon?"

"No no no, nothing against you, sir." The man paused. "Well, not completely. It didn't start with you. I just have a lot of bad experiences with people named Derek. It's become kind of a habit for me to heckle them."

"...Surely you can be more professional than that?"

"Oh, I can try. I'm not sure on how well I will succeed. But, go on ahead, desk monkey." Cojisto folded his hands in his lap with a mostly happy, somewhat sarcastic smile on his face.

The GRG member gazed at Cojisto for a few moments longer before releasing a heavy sigh. "Then, let's get this over with."

"Oh yes, lets."

"Your name is Cojisto, and you are the Guildmaster of the... Guild of the Teetering Wilson?"

"That is correct. I'm quite proud of the guild on a whole. We're a fine bunch, we are."

"Of course, of course," Derek said with the tone of someone who had heard that over and over again. "And your guild's main reason for existence is-"

"Being the best adventurers in all of the land. It's all there, in the papers. You needn't ask, though if you want to hear the words out of the world's finest adventurer I could tell you. I've got time." Cojisto leaned back in his chair.

"Riiiiiiight, anyway. You have four members, which is the minimum and therefore acceptable. I have their profiles here but there seems to be one small problem..." Derek pushed the papers on his desk around a little bit before picking up the four papers on the guild members. He shuffled through them, not looking at Cojisto.

"What's that? Because I'm pretty sure all of it is correct. Anastasia did it all herself, the wonderful girl that she is, bless her heart. She runs the Guild Hall while I'm gone."

"So it says. The profiles are filled out in a completely professional manner. There's not a single issue with it except..."

Cojisto reached out and pulled the sheets of paper away from Derek and read through them. "What's the problem? Where's the issue?"

Derek snatched the papers back and shuffled them back into the right order before addressing the Guildmaster again. "The problem is, Cojisto, that you seem to have a moose in your guild."

"Moose is a magic moose, it counts. Do you have something against moose, Derek? Are you a defiler of moose?"

Derek was taken-aback. "What? I am most certainly not a- a defiler of moose!"

"Then there shouldn't be a problem here!" Cojisto countered.

"With all due respect-"

"It's not enough, I think more respect is due here. Moose is one of my guild members and he's earned a place on the team!"

The GRG member took a moment to compose himself. "Sir, this is highly unusual. We agreed with it back then because there were five members including this... Moose. We figured it was a mascot, not an actual member."

"I assure you, he is one of the most important members. He's our treasurer!" Cojisto slammed his fist onto the table in outrage.

"Sir, please calm down! And how can a moose be your treasurer!? He's a moose!"

"A-ha! You ARE racist against moose!"

"No! I'm not! It's just that, he's a, there's no way that..." Derek closed his eyes and silently counted to ten. Cojisto waited patiently. "I'm sorry, sir, but a Guild is defined by the number of Humans in the guild. There are no rules saying that a moose can count towards that total."

"Ah, but there's no rules that a moose can't count towards that total!" Cojisto crossed his arms to prevent himself from hitting something else. Namely, Derek.

"Yes! Yes there is! I just said that a Guild is defined by the humans in that guild! Humans being the keyword!"

"But he is a magic moose!"

"And while I commend you on finding a moose that is, in fact, magic, that doesn't give him the right to count towards the four minimum total!"

"HE HAS ALL OF THE RIGHTS!" Cojisto roared, standing up so swiftly that he knocked over his chair. "Who are you to take that away from him!?"

Realizing that Cojisto would probably punch him if anything more was said against Moose, Derek backed his chair up a few steps and pushed the man's renewal papers back at him. "I'll give you the customary month to find a fourth-"

"Fifth!" Cojisto huffed.

"To find a fourth," Derek kept going where he left off. "Member of your guild. Until then I'm sorry but I just can't help you."

Cojisto suddenly stopped being angry and smiled at Derek. "Ah, if that's all then there shouldn't be any problem. I'll be back within the month. Thanks for all your help." The Guildmaster offered Derek his hand to shake. Derek eyed the man with concern before finally giving him a firm handshake. "You know, for a Derek you're not half bad. But you are a desk monkey, so I'll be taking that compliment back now." Without another word he spun on his heel and walked away from the desk, leaving a very perplexed GRG member behind.

On his way out of the Guild Registration Guild's guild hall he posted a notice on the board telling all prospective adventurers where he could be found if they wanted to join. And with that, he stepped out into the dull and cloudy world and continued on his way to Moose and Sirenne.
Rust
Rust

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishilar's Ego Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 am

"Hello," Rith spoke politely, "I would like to start a guild." The clerk stared at him blankly. "A guild called..." Rith paused, "...THE NECROMANCER'S GUILD!"
It was that simple phrase that seemed to shut down the entire Guild Hall. Silence descended as everybody paused to stare at the man who would dare claim to be the most powerful mage in all of Tyldrasia.
"...Hi! I'm the Necromancer!" Rith cleared his throat and turned back to the clerk who was staring at him, torn between awe and, in Cele's opinion, wondering whether or not such a strange man could be the Necromancer. "Anyway. Yes. The Necromancer's Guild. Write. That. Down."
The clerk shook himself, "I'm going to need a list of all people intending to join the Necromancer's Guild, a minimum of four and..."

Cele zoned out. There was only three of them, unless Rith had a mysterious fourth member hidden up his sleeve somewhere. How was this going to work...?
"Our fourth member is very sick and staying at an inn in town," he explained easily, "But I will be more than happy to provide his name and when you come verify us, you can see that he is, indeed, a real person."
"I shouldn't, but..." the clerk sighed, "Oh very well. His name is...I...chai...yuh...Bal...zake? Am I pronouncing this right?"
"No! What kind of retard would name their child that!? It's pronounced 'Eye-shee-yuh Bawl-sac'. Just like it's spelled. Ichiya Bawlsak."

"What kind of retard would name their child that!?" Cele thought aghast, a thought shared by Calis and several onlookers as well if their expressions were anything to judge by.
"I...I see...why are all of the weird ones coming in today?" the clerk muttered, "Here are your papers and the starting gold."
"Excellent, my man, thank you for your wonderful service! Come, Cele and Calis, my comrades, we've got free money. LET'S GO DRINKING!"
"W...why is he yelling like that?" Cele whispered to Calis as they followed the eccentric leader of their guild out of the hall.
"Because he's obnoxious."

Cele stretched as they walked back out into the afternoon sun. That building had been so stuffy. She felt Calis' hand tighten around her wrist, a signal to stop.
"Is that a...moose?" Calis wondered.
A moose? In the middle of a city like Ambevelia? That she had to see. Cele took a deep breath and felt at the tendril of blackness in the back of her mind. Not malevolent, not really. As long as she ignored it. She seized the tendril and let it spread through her entire body, drawing on the Void's power.

It was as though a curtain were rising from her eyes, showing her the sights that she had never seen since she and Calis had tried to bring their mother back from the dead. But it was sight through the veil of the Void. Her eyesight was a landscape of inky blackness with the silhouettes of people and placed etched harshly across it in thin white strands. It was common in most Void masters, those who gave to the Void often got what they gave returned...after a fashion. The restless souls of the Void with lingering attachments; feelings, wants, needs; in the Living Realm used a Void mage's own sacrifices as a means of interacting with it once more.

It always took Cele a moment to adjust to the strange new way of seeing things through the Void. First the things closest to her were etched in white, and then their silhouettes were detailed, and then that was repeated further and further until the canvas of the Void was completed.
As her vision settled, there it was, sure enough. A goddamn moose. A woman was standing next to it whom Cele supposed was the owner of the creature.
"Ah, the moose," Rith said beside her, "One of nature's noblest and most majestic creatures!"
"It's a moose," Calis said flatly.
"Do not underestimate the power of the moose, Calis!" Rith said, "They are known for saving lives!"

"Hello," Cele said to the young woman tending the moose, having left both men to their argument, "Is it common for moose to pass through this city?"
The woman laughed, "Hello yourself. No, not really. But Moose is special. I take it you're new here, then?"
"Yes, my brother and I just arrived today and joined a guild, though I suspect that we're short a fourth member..." She was almost sure of it. Nobody could have a name like Ichiya Bawlsak. "Moose...is that his name then?" Cele continued, "It's a...very nice name."
Wonder of wonders, the moose - or Moose, Cele amended mentally - lowered his head and nuzzled her.
"He says that he likes you," a new man announced, striding toward them. To Cele's eyes, he was broad and muscular and seemed to be wearing gauntlets or gloves of some sort, though she couldn't quite tell the material.
"Can you talk to Moose?" Cele inquired.
"Of course!" the newcomer huffed, "Moose is Moose. Why wouldn't I be able to talk to him?"
"...Nevermind," Cele said as politely as possible.
"...So anyway. Moose says that you're looking for a fourth member for your guild. I am looking for a FIFTH-" the man shouted this as if for emphasis, "-member for my guild. I don't suppose you like adventures?"
"Aha!" Rith declared, joining them, "This is perfect. Good sir, I will join your guild if you join mine."
The man scratched his chin, perhaps debating with himself mentally. Or maybe he just had an itch there. In any case, he shook his head, scrutinizing Rith, "Your offer seems legitimate, but I don't want to be in another guild. I'll give you Moose instead."
"No, no," Rith replied, "That won't do at all. I could never take such a majestic creature from his family."
"Cojisto," the woman spoke up, "It might not be such a bad deal. This takes care of our problem. I can't leave our guild, we'd fall into disarray. It has to be either you or Moose."
The man, Cojisto, folded his arms, "Very well then, I will let Moose decide!"

Moose grunted and shook his antlered head, shaking the sheathed sword housed in them, which Cojisto took as an answer, "Very well then, sir. I accept your terms."
"Excellent. How serendipitous! My name is Rith, and our guild is the Necromancer's Guild. But none of us are the Necromancer. We're just looking for him. And while you are in our guild, your name is Ichiya Bawlsak."
"Naturally. I am Cojisto, this is Sirenne and Moose. Moose is our Treasurer. Anastasia, who isn't here, runs the guild. Sirenne here does things. And you, you can be the guy that gets me coffee, since we don't actually have any other positions."
"Yes, yes. Now, let us celebrate our partnership...with DRINKING!"

The noise of the tavern Rith had taken them to drowned out any room for thought, and so Cele resigned herself to observing the others. The people were rowdy, loud, and boisterous, but they seemed content. Happy, even. It was so strange compared to the harsh lands of Imijil. Nobody ever truly relaxed there. A slip in your guard meant certain death. But here...
"What a day," Calis muttered beside her.
"It's been very eventful, hasn't it?"
"Is that what you call this? We've attached ourselves to a man who is, if this is any indication, a complete drunkard and a fool."
"We have a place to stay now, thanks to him. A place to return to each night. And for all of his oddities, I think Rith is a good person and another pair of eyes."
Calis sighed, "I wish I could have your optimism."
"I don't," Cele snorted, "If you did, there'd be nothing to keep me in check."
Calis chuckled, "I suppose so."

"Excuse me? You are members of..." the man paused, "of the Necromancer's Guild guild?"
"Yeah," Calis replied, "We are. Our guildmaster is over there."
"Thank you. Mr...Rith?"
"Yeeeeees?"
"My name is Derek Gillsman with the Guild Registration Guild. I'm here to verify that you have a fourth member."
"Yes, indeed, sir!" Rith announced, "Ichiya! Could you come over here for a moment?"
Cele watched Cojisto rise from where he was sitting with Sirenne and stride over. A part of her, a very small part, was eager to see where this went. Cojisto was...a very interesting person, much like Rith.
Derek stared at Cojisto with something between shock and horror crossing his face. "Oh no..." he put a hand to his forehead, "Please, please, please no..."
"This is my fourth member, Ichiya Bawlsak!" Rith announced proudly.
"Um...no, sir, this is Cojisto, the guild leader of the Guild of the Teetering Wilson."
"Excuse me!?" Cojisto demanded, "I totally am Ichiya Bawlsak."
"Please sir, don't make a scene..."
"A scene!?" Cojisto roared, "Sir, do you have something against Bawlsaks!?"
"I..."
"ARE YOU A DEFILER OF BAWLSAKS!?"
"A...no!" Derek spluttered, "I would never defile...that's just gross!"
"Aha!" Cojisto declared, "So you are racist against Bawlsaks!"
Derek looked to be on the point of breaking down and crying as Cojisto rode over him. "Sir, I will have you know that I am proud - PROUD! - to be a Bawlsak!"

"Let's go outside," Calis murmured. Cele stifled her fit of giggles and took her brother's hand and let herself be led outside, even as Cojisto's shouting reached new levels. "-AND DON'T EVER DOUBT THE LEGITIMACY AND RAW POWER OF A BAWLSAK!"

The air was crisp and cool. Night had fallen at some point during their time in the tavern and the streets were no longer bustling with noise to Cele's ears. Calis led her a ways down the street and then stopped.
"It sure is pretty out here, when all of the people are indoors."
"Is it?" Cele asked, "Describe the colors to me."
"Well, the sky's still black, of course. But you can see the Paths of Radiance spreading out all over the world. And they've got lights all over. Glowbulbs of all kinds and sizes. Most of them are white, but there's a few colored ones around too. Like the fireflies back home."
Cele smiled softly, "It would be nice to be able to see things like that again." She seized the Void once more, to see the shadow of Ambevelia at night.

Calis was leaning on one of the guard rails around the flying city's border, staring down at the ground below them at thousands of tiny little dots. But as the Void continued to etch the world across her vision, those dots gained shape and form and it made terror spike through the Void mage.
"We have to get back to the tavern and warn somebody, Calis. Those aren't lights. Those are eyes! Those are demons!"

Then the entire city itself began to tremble.
Ishilar's Ego
Ishilar's Ego

Back to top Go down

Post by BSmith Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:30 am

"And they're just... standing there?"

"Yes, sir. Been that way for almost a day now."

Kelrad Dunderdale gazed across the barren expanse of land at the army of demonspawn his regiment was soon to face in battle. There were hundreds, maybe thousands of the things, standing in rank, unmoving and unflinching.

"That's... a little unnerving."

"I agree, sir."

"Look," Kel turned back towards the soldier adressing him, "You can dispense with the 'sirs'. I'm the same rank as you, you know."

"Apologies, sir, it's ju-" The soldier caught himself and shook his head. "...It's just, your father was-"

"I know what my father was. He was Commander of the Wing Knights, one of the greatest warriors in Callistae and an inspiration to us all. And I am not him."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine." With that, Kel turned away from the soldier and strolled along the wall that separated Ipik from the wasteland that was to be a battlefield in a little over two hours. He had arrived at the city less than an hour ago; the Wing Knights had been summoned last-minute to launch an offensive against the army that had suddenly sprung up on their doorstep. Most of the Knights were stationed at the fortress city of Tir, and would be launching the main attack, but Kel's regiment would be flanking the horde from the southeast. If everything went according to plan, the demonspawn wouldn't know what hit them.

On the streets below him, the citizens of Ipik continued their daily lives, only vaguely aware of the danger that lurked so near their homes, or of the imminent death that would befall so many warriors tonight. Kel gripped the handle of his sword and sighed. His father had made the military life seem so glamorous. Kel could still remember how he had felt when he graduated from the Academy, ready to carry on the glory of the Dunderdale name... Now, he would give anything to be one of those citizens below, living an ordinary life, knowing that the Wing Knights would always be there to protect him, without the constant fear of death hanging over him every time he donned the armor.

He unsheathed his father's sword and stared at the blade. His face, drawn with lines despite his young age, was reflected in the polished metal. Ashcarver, the sword was called, for his father had once used to it to slay one of the most vicious demonspawn to ever walk the Circle. A being surrounded by eternal hellfire, everlasting flames that it used to scorch the land. His father had walked straight through the fire and thrust the sword into the fiend's chest. He emerged, badly burned and covered in soot, and the sword's blade turned to ash. That ash was smelted and reforged into the brand that Kel now held in his hand. He had inherited the sword four years ago, after his father was killed during a demonspawn uprising much like the one Kel now faced.

He shook his head slowly. If his father, the man that slayed the Burning Demon, could fall in battle, what chance did he have against the devilish hordes that awaited him?
BSmith
BSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by The Masked Man Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Lune squinted at the horizon and held her hand in front of her with her index and middle finger pressed together so that the sun appeared to be resting on them like a precariously balanced marble. It was an old trick she had picked up from who-knew-where: every two finger widths between the sun and the horizon equaled about twenty more minutes of sunlight. She moved her fingers slowly downward, then shook her head in disapproval. There was only about an hour left before sunset.

“Do they want to win this thing, or not?”

The other members of Final Seed were milling about nearby, some meditating, some inspecting their gear. One of the larger ones, a mountain of a man she only knew as Rusk, looked up from where he sat cross-legged in the mud.

“Ma’am?” He rumbled.

“Just talking to myself, like a good little psychotic.”

“You’re wondering why the army is waiting so long to attack, aren’t you?”

Lune frowned slightly. Rusk was known for making obvious observations, and she could never tell if he was being sarcastic. “Yeah.”

“Why does it matter? The demons will be stronger at night. Won’t that make our goal easier to attain?”
Our goal he called it. The way he said it, with an awed sort of reverence, made her shudder a little.
“Not everybody’s out here to get killed.”

Rusk shrugged and returned to his meditations, just as Aileen and Faceless emerged from the crowd of soldiers and mercenaries. The trio exchanged glances and seemed instantly to understand what the others were thinking. Aileen tilted her head off to the left, arching an eyebrow and jerking her gloved thumb over her shoulder.

Can you believe these guys? she seemed to say. Lune held her hands up in only partially-feigned exasperation. “When we moving out?”

Aileen paused just before she spoke, and looked quickly over her shoulder. Someone had called out, and now a river of warriors seemed to be moving towards the gate.

“Right now, apparently.”

Everyone formed up in front of Aileen and she delivered her traditional little talk about death with honor and forgiveness through blood and whatever else—it had been a long time since Lune had bothered paying attention to all that drivel. She stared into the distance and thrust a hand into the battered green satchel that hung at her hip, fingering the little glass flask and wondering if this operation would be worth a hit of salt. She didn’t feel any particular cravings, and it had been a good while since she had fought sober. That settled it, and she took her hand out of the pouch and placed it easily on the hilt of her left short sword, waiting for the rest of the guild to move out.

---

Clouds billowed in the east as the sun approached the horizon: it appeared the day would end the same way it began. Lune stood eagerly at the front of the allied formation, tracing aimless circles in the mud with her twin swords, head angled down, eyes turned up, with a twisted little grin stretching ominously across her face. The nearness of the battle had roused her bloodlust, and she had already chosen her first victim—a mindless little shade that wouldn’t be able to slither its way around her web of steel.

She wasn’t the only one eager for the slaughter, though. Faceless, the distasteful brute that he was, actually managed to impress her in combat. As soon as Final Seed had formed up he had expanded his form to its utmost, and the humans nearby found themselves standing in the shadow of a massive gray wolf, just over twenty feet tall, hot saliva dripping like stick rain from his bared fangs. It would be his job to take out any Ryorg, since he was the only one among them who could reasonably go toe-to-toe with the demonspawn bears. It wasn’t just that he could do it though: he was damn good at killing the things. Sometimes, if combat lulled a little bit, Lune would try to spot him and watch the gory spectacle. Aileen was somewhere nearby too, no doubt trying to act as if she didn’t want to be here. She had most people fooled with her “I don’t like violence” act, but Lune could tell she craved murder, cried out for bloodshed. Blood was her elixir. That was the one thing the two women had in common.

An echoing cry started up somewhere within the demons’ ranks and soon it seemed the lot of them had joined in, hooting and howling, banding weapons together and brandishing teeth and claws. Lune’s skin erupted into gooseflesh and her nostrils flared. She found herself breathing more heavily, her heart rate climbing, and as the first tentative drops of the day’s second storm began to patter at her feet she found herself unleashing her own unearthly cry, a blood-curdling howl, a demand for immediate, gratifying violence that echoed up from the deepest, most primordial parts of her soul. At first she was the only one, but soon good old Faceless joined in, his deafening howl drowning out her own. More and more of the men and women surrounding them joined in and, had she cared to listed, Lune probably could have heard a significant portion of the massed human army shouting right along with them.

And then it was time.
They all screamed, they all charged.
Boots and hooves and giant paws in the mud.
The clash of steel. Where was her target? Where had he gone?

There. Standing there, stupidly, shouting and banging his war axe against his shield. Why didn’t he notice? Why didn’t he act?

She leapt, inches ahead of the line, and swiped downward with both of her hungry blades. It was time. It was time, it was time! The animal within her screamed and she screamed with it.

“Show me your blood!”

But her blades met with nothing. For a moment she was confused. Had the thing managed to dodge her attack where so many others hadn’t? She looked up, but the shade was gone. Not dead, but gone.
“What-?” Still crouched from her landing, she spun and dissected a would-be attacker—or at least she tried to—just before it too vanished. “What is this?”

All around her soldiers and mercenaries were asking a similar question. As the sun sunk low behind the horizon the demons, rather than growing stronger, seemed simply to be vanishing. What trickery could this be? Lune pondered for a split second, but thinking had never been her strong suit so she simply dove back into the carnage, intent on finding a target that bled when she struck it.

From somewhere behind her, Aileen’s voice rang out clear: “A diversion! Watch your backs, it’s a trap!”
The Masked Man
The Masked Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BSmith Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:14 am

"You ready?"

"Nope," Kel replied, "You?"

"Of course not."

Kel looked up at the large man next to him and smirked. The man was Leonar Aroldin, current Ambassador of the Wing Knights, second in command only to the Commander. Leonar had been mentored by Kel's father, Delrad, during their time together in the Knights, and in turn, the elder soldier had now taken Kelrad under his wing. The two of them stood at the head of the small army that was gathered under the Ipik gate.

"None of us are ever ready for battle, Kel," Leonar said. "The ones who say they are are lying, either to you or to themselves." He pulled on his helmet, a beautiful piece with a wing embossed on either side of the face. "But this is the life we chose, and so into battle we must go. It's nearly time."

Kel looked up to the sky. The sun was indeed sinking low on the horizon, but they were to wait for the initial charge from the army at Tir before moving. Once the demonspawn were engaged in battle, Kel's regiment would surprise them with a flanking attack. Overall, Kel thought, they had the better assignment. Glorious as the main charge might be, he preferred not to be a decoy.

The minutes ticked by as the sun inched closer to the ground, and Kel began to worry. Shouldn't the attack have started by now? The plan was to surprise the horde by attacking when they least suspected it - just before sundown, and just before they reached maximum power - but this was pushing it. Suddenly, a horrifying howl rent the air - the demons letting loose a battle cry. It echoed across the battlefield, around the mountains in the distance, and off the walls of the city. It chilled Kel to the bone. Leonar grabbed his shoulder and pointed.

"There! The charge has started!" Kel followed his finger, peering into the murky distance, where he could just barely make out the banner of the Wing Knights, flapping in the breeze. Beneath it was a mass of black figures, all running full-tilt towards the center of the wasteland. Kel rubbed his eyes, not sure if he was seeing things; among their number was a gigantic wolf, easily two stories tall.

"Is... is that thing on OUR side?" Leonar looked as bewildered as he was, but nodded.

"Members of the Final Seed are in that army. I wouldn't put anything past them."

"Really?! We're really working with the Final Seed?"

"Why not? The main offensive is pretty much a suicide mission, after all." Kel looked disgusted. "I know you don't approve, Kelrad, but that guild has some of the most fearless warriors I've ever seen."

"They're criminals, though. They don't deserve a valiant death."

"Everyone deserves a chance to right their wrongs."

"Well, they don't have to do it on the battlefield, then! A soldier's death is a noble one! Why should rapists and traitors be afforded the same honor as a man like my father?!"

"None of us are perfect, Kel. ...Your father, least of all."

"What?" But before Leonar could elaborate, a trumpet rang out from the ranks behind them, and the army started moving. Both men were immediately silent. That had been one of the first things Leonar had taught Kel: when the battle begins, everything else is left behind. Nothing matters except the battle; all else can wait until it is finished.

Kel took a deep breath and joined the charge. The sound was thunderous; hundreds of feet trampled the ground as they pressed towards the battle. Suddenly, something made Kel look to his left. He swore he had seen a glint of metal in the distance, almost as if...

"AMBUSH!!" Someone yelled from behind him. Kel whipped around just in time to see an ogre, thirteen feet tall, with legs the width of tree trunks, bring its enormous club down into their ranks, easily crushing at least three soldiers. He skidded to a stop. Where had that thing come from? He found it hard to believe that they had simply run right past the giant beast, but now here it was, clearing out the middle of their formation. And then the air around them was filled with shrieks, grisly cries that grated against the ears, and out of the darkness in the opposite direction emerged a second horde of demonspawn, swords and claws drawn, outnumbering their army three to one. Their flanking attack was being flanked!
BSmith
BSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down